- Establishing of Career counselling Centres- CCC.
- Identification of various careers needs Assessment
- Development of Resource Material and resource pool.
- Development of Counselling Material.
- Conduct of base line survey of married/unmarried dropouts youths.
- Field Outreach counselling to the dropouts and linking them to CCC.
- Career counselling fairs in project area
Components of a career counselling centre
There are various aspects to consider when setting up a career counselling centre, including the people who might work there, the tools and resources that can be made available to students, and the process or method of career counselling. As these CCC is being establishing at secondary Schools, It is important to take into consideration the specific needs of the student population.
Besides the problem of choosing a career, youngsters also facing the pressures to conform to society norms and parental expectations.
Career Guidance and Counselling is a helping service to make correct choice from among innumerable alternatives faced by the individual, if at all the choice is incorrect, the decision is irreversible and the individual may face a set back, failure, frustration or disillusionment. If correctly made, it will enhance his development build his/him self-confidence and set him/her on his onward journey of progress with satisfaction and self-fulfillment. Hence career counselling plays a crucial role in one’s life.
How does Career Guidance and Counselling perform this unique role?
In today’s fsst moving life the demand has been increased for professionalism in all dimentionsof employment; in terms of ability, interest, personality and motivation.A complete self-understanding is possible only when we know our Knowledge, Skill and attitude. Though one knows little about potentials, interests and personality for him/herself. It is essential that we make knowledgeable decision.
The process of Career Guidance and Counselling is a scientific and objective oriented, through which we can arrive at a fairly accurate judgement of ourselves. With the help of career councellingthe final career choice will be made exclusively. Plant a good seed of ‘informed decision’, nourish it with hard work, perseverance and optimism and the fruits of success will definitely reap.
A. Counselling services
- Project Office setup: The project office will be setup at University level as nodal agency within first two month of the initiation of the project. It will be further assist and support the project implementation at field level at various stages.
- Counsellor:A full time counsellor with degree/diploma in career and guidance, having good knowledge of computer and internet ,HRD/PRA. Will be deployed by the project. Career counsellors will have specialized training in career counselling and career development. They may also have additional training in personal counselling as well as in group counselling. They may facilitate career Development groups for students or counsel students individually. Counsellors can assist students in various areas. Some examples include Increasing self-awareness, decision-making, goal-setting and establishing a plan of action.
- Advertisement for recruitment of Chief Counsellor/Content Editor/Career Counsellor/Project Assistant: The recruitment and advertisement for above mentioned posts will be floated in the local and National news paper to attract the good quality and experienced academicians.
- Recruitment of Project Staff: After the preliminary scrutiny shortlisted candidate will be interviewed by expert panel and after finalisation of candidate would be offered to conduct the assignments.
- Induction Training and capacity building ( SWOT etc.) of Project staff: Basically SWOT analysis can be performed to analyse the individuals strength, weakness, opportunities and threats. While considering these facts it would be best for the students to choose their career with self-confidence for his/her onward journey of progress with satisfaction and self-fulfillment.
- Setting up of Career counselling Centres ( CCC): Baseline survey will be conducted by consultant on the basis of Distance from road, population of the school and SWOT analysis of students of particular school. That will lead to decide the setting up of any career counselling centre and the process will be initiated to establish CCC.
- Conducting career counselling: After the setting up of CCC, the induction training of project staff and counsellor, the counselling services will be initiated as per the action plan.
B. Programme Management & Resources
It is important for a career counselling centre to have specific resources available for students so that they can access information independently to help them in their career decision-making. Some of helpful resources are following.
- A spare room with electricity connection for setting up counselling centre equipped with Chairs, Tables, TV, DVD, Display board, Book case, filing cabinet, Computer with internet connection. The space will be provided by the participating school while infrastructure support will be provided by Project to setup the CCC.
C. Baseline Survey Tool Development
Survey tools will be developed with cross references as per the requirement and objectives of the project.
- Baseline survey: Baseline survey will be done by the consultant in the initial stage of the project. On the basis of this survey the selection of Schools/CCC, SWOT. This will be done with the help of questioners developed by consultant.
- Monthly monitoring, and review meeting and reporting: The project will reviewed monthly basis at nodal agency level. The report will be prepared using various indicators will be shared with stake holders.
- Endline survey: this will be conducted at the end of the project period to assess the changes about aptitudes, intelligence level, personality factors and interest pattern of the students.
- Review monitoring workshop: The project will reviewed half yearly basis at nodal agency level. The report will be prepared using various indicators will be shared with stake holders.
D. Development of Resource material
The Nodal agency will develop the Resource material classified information booklet, case studies and information brochure and directory of courses on various career options and emerging areas in career market as well as self employment career options. A informational newsletter will be developed anddispatched to all registered student and linked dropouts. The news letter provides information on various dates and schedules of examinations and admission, various courses, and information on micro enterprises. A pool of trained resource persons for self employment skill training will be developed and a data bases will be maintained.
E. Identification of careers through SWOT by consultant
Justification has been already been expressed above).
F. Development of career Counseling Material
Nodal agency will develop the counselling material such as training film or video, Counselling Manual, career options kits Booklet, Brochure, handbook, posters and information IEC material.
- Well-classified information on various careers opportunities.
- It is useful to have a classification system of jobs where specific jobs that are related have been grouped together. This kind of a system allows individuals to expand their options when they are researching job possibilities as a guide. It is important that this type of information be up to date, relevant, easily accessible, and reflective of the nature of the work world and current possibilities for students. Information provided on a variety of options including self-employment, part-time work, contract work and managing career transitions. The Chef Counsellor, Content editor will be develop these material at nodal agency and replicate such kind of already available manuals.
- Career tests / assessments
- In career counselling, career tests and assessments are often utilized to provide information regarding a variety of areas, such as interests or Personality style etc. and will be conducted time to time.
- Calendar of various higher and Vocational Courses in College and University
- Colleges and universities typically print calendars describing the Programmes offered. It is useful to have local, national and international Information regarding the various educational programmes that are Available.
- Computer-based information
- Career counsellors are increasingly utilizing internet resources and Computer assisted guidance systems. Through the internet, individuals can easily obtain career information from around the world. Student will be oriented to use of computer and online search engines to get meaning full information about various career related information.
- Development of Career related IEC material
- Various career related information and Boucher will be developed and distributed among stake holder.
- Procurement of Career books
- Good quality books based on various carrier options and motivational books will be provided and maintain at CCC. The kinds of books that will be purchased include those that provide information about different types of jobs, such as educational requirements, amount of pay and descriptions of the work. It is important that the information be up to date.
- Collection Counselling aids i.e. Videos
- Required videos, CDS and Counselling related videos will be also maintained at CCC Videos can be made available on various career topics for students to watch. Videos are particularly useful on the topic of interviewing skills, where students can watch examples of how to answer questions in a job interview situation. If the recording equipment is available, it is also useful to videotape students as they practise interviewing skills. They can observe themselves as the video is played back and learn what went well and what needs to be altered in their behaviour.
- Development and production of Monthly news letter
- A monthly news letter will be prepared and publish with the current employment related information.
G. Career Counselling fairs
District level Career fairs will be organized at District level and counsellor from all participating inter collages will be available to do counselling, The fair will be organized with the help of various industry association and Educational consultant, which show case the information about various sectors, professionals and Resource persons from following areas will be available for information sharing.
- Principle or Senior Lecturer from collage.
- Employment Officer
- District Information Officer
- Tourism Officer
- Scientist from other employment related with regional and state level research institutions, agriculture , animal husbandry sheep wool development, Small scale industries, District Industries Centre, Two officers from Administrative Services.
- Development of Resource Material.
- Development of Training Material/ Module.
- Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Programme Management
- State Level Workshop.
- Compilation of documentation and Documentation and Reporting.
DRA will ensure to receive the report from CCC to send it to LRA, through electronically. DRA will be responsible to send the report to LRA by the 5th of each month by email or online data entry.
In implementing Districts one Inter collage will be designated as District Resources Agency to provide the support to CCCs being setup at the periphery level. DRA will be act as link / Hub between CCC and LRA for Information Processing and Management support. DRA will be performs such as a Nodal CCC and will be responsible for following.
Participating Senior Secondary collage
The 1 Inter collage will be selected in the one Tehsil in district i.e. 10 Inter collage will be covered as pilot basis for Setting up Career counselling centres. The participating Inter collage will be responsible to provide the Space, electricity and necessary support to setup the centre.
- Organizing of Career counselling fairs.
- Conduct training.
- District Level workshops.
- Documentation and reporting.
- Networking, coordination and communication with Participating Inter collages where CCC are being established and partner NGO’s.
- Report from CCC will be received at DRA latest by 28th to 31st of Month respectively in electronic mode either through E-mail, CD, pen Drive.
Career Counselling Centre
Career counselling centres will be established in selected inter collages in the selected block/Tehsil in Project District. This will be Managed & Supervised by CCC Advisory committee-CAC. CCC advisory Committee-CAC will be formed at respective Collages where CCC is being established. CAC will be chaired by Principal and assisted by two Faculty members along with counsellor.
The CCC advisory Committee-CAC will be responsible for guiding and managing the day to day affairs of CCC and will ensure.
- Day to day function of CCC.
- Progress of CCC.
- Review of Monthly report.
- Ensuring the proper maintenance of records and Interaction of Adolescent with counsellor.
- Maintenance of separate bank account.
- Identification of local resource based EDP.
Expected Output of Career Counsellor
- To prepare student mass towards self sustained and enhanced ability to analyse the individual’s strength, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Enhanced skill to access career related information.
- Creating information, education and communication and awareness in and around Tehri Hydroelectric project catchment area.
- Building networking among schools for sharing future prospects.
- Providing dialogue-based IPC to student, Encouraging service and information uptake.
- Maintain CCC.
- Preparing of reports
Qualities to look for in recruitment and selection of career Counsellor
- Should be trained in carrier counselling and guidance.
- Dynamic, motivated, energetic.
- Committed to the goals and objectives of the Project.
- Ability and commitment to make necessary time commitment.
- Interest with working with rural community.
- Knowledgeable about the local context and setting.
- Sensitive to the values of the community, and able to maintain.
- Tolerant and respectful of others’ ideas and behaviours.
- Good listening, communication, and inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrates self-confidence and shows potential for leadership.
- Willing to learn and experiment in the field.
Comprehensive training of Carrier counsellor to match the desired level of change in target Audience
Counsellor will be got trained on various subjects as follows:
- Basics of Counselling.
- Community mobilization.
- Interaction skills.
- Information about various occupational options.
Support and supervision of CCC by DRA
Career counselling centres will be supported by DRA at field level DRA will provide necessary support in guidance and linkage development, networking, skill enhancement training. Monitoring of CCC will be done by DRA.
Following reports to be submitted to the Project Partners.
- Monthly report: to be submitted electronically on the 5th of every month.
- Minutes of the meeting of the advisory committee within seven days of the meeting as on when held.
Report of any evaluation/ field visit conducted within 7 days of completion of such evaluation / field visits.