- Project Management and Staffing
The project will be under the overall management of the Country Director. The Head of Finance will ensure the financial management of the project. The project manager, will report directly to organization country director in the head office and will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project. The Project Manager will work directly with two (2) Project Officers to implement field level project activities. Strong links will be maintained with the Ministry of Youth and Employment to provide technical supervision. Existing and credible LNGOs and CBOs with requisite institutional capacity and experience will be encouraged to provide support for the implementation; direct supervision and monitoring of work in close collaboration with trained community structures, animation and youth beneficiary groups.
The organization operates a computerized accounting system for the recording and reporting of transactions. The accountability system includes the production of monthly activity progress reports, quarterly variance reports derived from monthly management accounts that show planned expenditure, actual expenditure, utilization levels and variances. XX accountability systems and procedures will be strictly followed and adhered to in the use of funds committed to the project.
- Experience in Implementing Youth Development and Social Integration Project
In Sierra Leone, ABC organization has a wealth of experience in implementing youth projects. Over the years’ organization was among the implementing agency of the “youth in crisis” project and had engaged in in-depth consultations with youth and parents in several locations across the country. Following this, ABC organization has since responded to the findings of the consultations by providing support for youths in the area of Skills Development and Employment, Income Generation, Sensitization and Training. Specifically, organization is engaged in the construction of a training center at Wellington, supporting youth in Hairdressing and Tailoring
As part of its national peace building strategy, ABC organization is engaged in the placement of youth with institution and local artisans for skills training, sensitization and training of youths through thematic workshops on key youth related issues such as peace building, reconciliation and conflict resolution, civic responsibility; enterprise development training for youths. The organization has supported youth leaders training in basic computer software and is presently engage with the trainings of CSO’S in basic computer software.
The successful implementation of these interventions has been possible as a result of the invaluable support of various international and local partner organizations. All programmes were implemented with the sole objective of resorting youth livelihoods and dignity through sustainable intervention.
PROJECT SUSTAINABILITY PLAN
The project design envisages continuity by the end of the funding period. The following steps will be taken to ensure constructive disengagement with project beneficiaries:
- Development and creation of alternative skills for self-employment: the project will promote the development and creation of skills that will provide opportunities for self-employment of beneficiaries. It is felt that once self-employed persons are organized to live and work together to address their common problems, they are less likely to depend on external support.
- Involvement of beneficiaries at all levels: the project will be demystified with the participation of all stakeholders through various sensitization activities and this process will continue throughout the life of the project. It is felt that the involvement of all beneficiaries will not only create local capacity but will also foster the sense of ownership and control of the project.
- Training and institution building: beneficiary training in productive skills, leadership and management will be the vehicle to accelerate the process of transformation or change in the society. Youths, especially female youths will be particularly focused for the various training activities. With start-up kits, beneficiaries will be encouraged to work in groups to address their common problems.
- Investment in micro-finance activities: beneficiaries will be encouraged to work in small groups to embark on income generation activities with a view to revolving funds to allow for growth and expansion. By small-business training acquired they can sustain their finance.
- Community service information collection and analysis: the project will involve the consistent collection and analysis of information through networking, collaboration and partnership to guide the process of implementation. Such information will be fed back to communities and other agencies for the purpose of replication and to guide the phase out process. The project will also facilitate the linkage of communities to essential service providers and information sources at phase out.
PROJECT MONITORING PLAN
Monitoring will be carried out throughout the life span of the project. ABC organization’s staff and the project beneficiaries will play a major participatory role in the entire monitoring process.
A framework for monitoring and evaluation, including measuring the impact of this intervention will be agreed with the intended beneficiaries, the management committees and members of the community.
The following indicators will be monitored:
- Youth participation in skills training and literacy classes
- Youths successfully completing skills training
- Micro businesses established by youths and levels of profitability
- Progress in understanding of participatory development concepts
- Community training centers constructed or rehabilitated and used
- Number of youths trained and co-operatives established
- Community initiatives involving youths
Data on the above indicators will be collected through the following means:
- Work schedules of field staffing overseeing implementation of the project
- Monthly activity implementation reports by field staff, in collaboration with Centre leader
- Field visit and project review reports by Programme Managers and other project support staff
- Quarterly progress reports to donor by project manager; and
- Half yearly progress reports to donor
ABOUT IMPLEMENTING AGENCY
The ABC organization is a non-profit, non-governmental, and non-political organization working for the rights of humanity and solidify services for the holistic development of people and their communities. The organization’s main focus area is empowerments of youths and women by providing the skills and training.
ABC is committed to the proposition that poverty can be substantially reduced and eventually eradicated. It focuses it work on youth empowerment, basic education and community development and income generation.
As a charitable organization, ABC works with communities, other agencies and government ministries to alleviate poverty and improve livelihood through sustainable interventions.