Activity 1. Undertake Comprehensive Study: A comprehensive review of literature will be an essential part of the project as it will help us in developing better understanding of the microenterprises in the country. We shall be reviewing existing literature with reference to policy, finances, infrastructure and other related aspects. Steps involved in conducting the analysis will be:
- Literature Review
- Questionnaire Preparation
- Conducting Interviews
- Data Analysis
The report will have detailed information related to the following aspects of micro-entrepreneurship:
- Existing Policies and Schemes that support micro enterprises
- Skills of entrepreneurs
- Registration and ownership
- Management and control
- Product development
- Financial management
- Infrastructure, machinery and technology
- Challenges that the small business faces
- Marketing process and linkages
- Staffing and employee management
- Risk mitigation
- Future Planning
Activity 2. Provide 50 women owned micro enterprises hands on training on entrepreneurship development.
- Selection of 50 women owned enterprises: We shall identify 50 women owned enterprises through a proper survey of the project sites. The selection of the 50 enterprises will be done through a scoring system. The following process will be used for the selection:
- Advertisement for sending applications
- Screening of applications
- Interview of shortlisted applicants
- Final selection of candidates
- Training of the selected women: Women entrepreneurs will be trained on aspects of business development, understanding financial management, marketing, product design and development.
The initial training will be generic in nature and during this time all the 50 women entrepreneurs will be finetuning their business plans. Our experts will work with the women entrepreneurs to develop proper business plans for each of their enterprises.
- In Depth study of individual enterprises: Once the basic training is over, our experts will visit each of the 50 enterprises to understand the working and the major challenges that the enterprise faces. This will include discussions with the women entrepreneurs, employees, customers, local community members and other stakeholders. Our expert will closely examine the major loopholes in the enterprise and will suggest necessary coping strategies.
- Improving skills to meet market demand: We shall provide necessary vocational skill updates of the selected women entrepreneurs, so that they are ready to compete in the market. We shall be providing skill improvement in the following sectors:
- Spice Harvesting and Processing
- Jewellery Making
- Coffee Processing
- Traditional Pottery
- Local craft products
- Animal rearing
- Providing business grants: We shall provide a nominal business grant to the 50 enterprises, so that they are able to improve the infrastructure of their respective enterprises.
- Hand Holding and support: We shall help the enterprise to enhance the performance of their enterprise by providing necessary support in the following aspects:
- Availing government subsidies
- Developing market linkages
- Digital marketing
- Licences and Certifications
- Linkages with banks and financial institutions
Activity 3. Promoting women owned enterprises: For the project to yield desired outcomes, it is important for us to develop a women entrepreneurs friendly ecosystem. This will involve providing a suitable platform within the community and the locality that would support and enable women to become successful entrepreneurs. The following actions to be undertaken:
- Consultations with local administration: We will organise a series of consultation workshops with local government offices to understand their schemes and policies that support women owned enterprises.
- Collecting successful Case studies: We will also be working on collecting case studies from different locations, where women have successfully built their business empires. These case studies will be used for creating awareness and sensitisation of the local women.
- Mass Awareness Campaign: To make the communities aware the following awareness generation activities will be conducted.
- Street Play: Street plays have been used for conveying messages to the masses for a very long time.
- Display of relevant posters and hoardings: We shall be publishing messages and posters with requests to support women owned micro enterprises.
- Miscellaneous awareness activities:
- Radio or television talk-shows with women leaders.
- Special newspaper supplements.
- Televised shows
- Organizing exhibitions and fairs to promote products made by women micro enterprises.
- Advocacy campaigning: Advocacy will be the most important aspect of the project as it will help in influencing the opinions and decisions of people and organisations towards supporting the women owned microenterprise. For the advocacy campaigns we will be engaging with like-minded organizations and will conduct meetings with parliamentarians, politicians, senior government officials and public servants, private sector leaders and will take their help to influence policy makers in making necessary changes in existing policy and regulation.
- Developing linkages: We shall link the women enterprises with ongoing government schemes, training and incubation centers. We shall also help the women to access and utilise the various schemes that will help them in promoting and expanding their business.
Do you perceive any challenges in implementing this project? [Please mention any challenges that you foresee and how you intend to mitigate/ manage it.]
The biggest challenge that we foresee for the implementation of the project is the active participation of women entrepreneurs in the region. Low entrepreneurship among women in Indonesia can be attributed to discriminatory practices, educational inequality, lack of financial skills and access to markets, infrastructure and necessary training. We shall work towards developing a system that would motivate Indonesian women to develop their business skills to promote their microenterprise.